Girls and their dogs

I came across a great album yesterday. It is Kelly Clarkson's seventh album, Piece by Piece. I am a lyrics guy, so when I describe a song as good or awesome or amazing, I am mainly referring to the lyrics rather than the "beat" aspect of it. The first song I listened to in Piece by Piece, the one that hooked me and drew me in, is the song "Good goes the bye."

The simplicity and the wit in the chorus shows itself:

Slam goes the door
Hush goes the phone
Out goes the flame
...
Burn goes the drink
Down go the tears
Drip goes the sink
...
Break goes the heart
Wrong goes the right
Good goes the bye


But it is the title track, "Piece by piece" which struck a special cord in me. Kelly is talking about (I assume) her dad, and how he was never there for his family, how he left them when she was still young. But now that she is successful the dad is trying to wiggle his way back into her life, feigning remorse, faking affection, and even borrowing money from her.

Kelly knows better, though. Having spent most of her life chasing after her dad and being given a cold shoulder, she almost became bitter about men. She almost became like the many young girls who grow up without the love and support of a father, ladies who were abused and abandoned by their dads, and now find it hard to trust men.

Kelly was lucky to meet a man who restored her hope in men. A man who loved her. A father who stayed and didn't abandon his family. As she describes him in the chorus:

He never walks away
He never asks for money
He takes care of me
He loves me
Piece by piece
He restored my faith
That a man can be kind
And a father could stay

Very moving, eh? At first I wondered why these words evoked such a warm feeling in me. It could be because I identify more with Kelly's dad than with the new man in Kelly's life. I have found myself mostly being the leaver than the sticker-around. A dog. I pray daily that I will be the man who stays. The man a woman can count on to love her and protect her and never abandon her.

Yet there's another thought that lingered long after this song was over. This "man of my dreams" that Kelly is singing about, the answer to her prayers, is only currently so. I mean, she has no guarantee that this man will keep staying. She doesn't know if his kindness has an expiry date. Yes, the man seems okay today, and out of this world. Perfect in those important ways. But people change. Life happens. Men are too human to remain the same. We are consistently inconsistent.

But that reality does not change what Kelly feels in her song. She craves for stability, and this man is providing it, so it is only logical that she will be grateful. This man is not like her dad. He is not a dog. He is a decent man. This man has restored her faith. But I can't help but wonder, for how long?

Kelly or you or I cannot answer that question, but there is someone else who can. Jesus Christ. Jesus knows that the love and commitment of men is fleeting. Let-downs, in one way or another, are guaranteed. But he offers an alternative. He offers a better man. To Kelly, and all the ladies in the world who walk around haunted by dogs... Jesus offers a man who:

Never walks away
Never asks for money
Takes care of you
Loves you
Piece by piece
Restores your faith
That a man can be kind
And a father could stay

With Jesus, this song finds a better purpose. With Jesus, the lyrics to this song become eternal, never needing revision, never waiting until the current man begins to bark and hide his tail between his legs as the next best thing comes along. With Jesus, this song is redeemed because its subject becomes the Redeemer.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.